Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Finishing the belly bowl

See the previous post about the Belly Cast for more on this. Here is how we finished it.

Once the cast was dry and hard (48 hours later), I trimmed the edges with shears to the shape I wanted and then slightly sanded them to make it smoother. Then I went to town with white acrylic Gesso, which primes and thickens. I did two THICK coats to both the inside and outside, letting it dry fully and lightly sanding between coats.

Next was the dark brown acrylic paint, color Raw Umber, which I did at least 2 coats of to both sides. Again, it has to dry completely between coats. I might have done 3 coats, don't remember. I wanted it thick and as smooth as I could make it!

Then the fun part happened! I texturized the outside with a gold colored metallic acrylic paint, using a large sponge. It was fun. It shimmers in the light! :) once that was done and dry, it was time for gloss. I used an acrylic high gloss spray and did two good coats to both sides.

I love what we've created! I can't wait to see Norah lounging in there for newborn pictures, and later as a decoration in our home.












No comments:

Post a Comment