Monday, July 29, 2013

Crisis Update

I know I said I would post when I knew something, I didn't. It has been a rough 2 weeks ... But I see the light at the end of this tunnel!

This is an update for my last post.
We did not get her tongue or lip tie clipped at that appointment 2 weeks ago. Dr. B saw her lip tie (but couldn't clip it in the office) and said that her tongue was not tied down. The office staff was extremely sweet and caring, they even called dozens of places in the area that could take care of her lip tie (for a hefty price) and didn't charge me for coming in that day -- we didn't do the procedures, after all. I'll admit, I cried right there in the office. It was tough knowing that she had that posterior tie but a health professional not understanding the extent of what that meant. We left deflated.

I have been exclusively pumping since I made the last post, which just means that Norah is getting her milk "to go" instead of "from the tap". ;) It has been 16 days of this, and honestly it is going well... WAY more "fun" than bf at the moment, although I am so hopeful that our situation will change soon. It does take a LOT of time - but I have found EPing support groups online that have offered little tricks that have been amazing (like just rinsing and storing your pump parts in the fridge after use and washing with soap just one time a day). We are "pumping on demand" as I like to call it. I always pump a bottle full and leave that out at room temp ready for when she starts showing early signs of hunger. She gets to immediately eat and doesn't have to wait for me to do anything. As soon as she is finished, I pump for the NEXT meal time. It works so well. The milk never needs to be refrigerated since breastmilk is good at room temp for 4-6 hours. HUGE TIME SAVER!!

Where are we now with the whole ordeal?
After doing a TON more research, I found Dr. Cole in Fort Worth, who is an expert in the laser frenectomy procedure for infants. He trained under the tongue and lip tie guru Dr. Kotlow in NY, who hundreds of people fly to without question to have the quick procedure. Plus, he knows what a posterior tie really is and how to locate it. Dr. Cole will laser her lip and tongue tie right after the other, which will take maybe 2 minutes total, for the price of one at other less experienced locations (So thankful!) ... Why? Because I think he is a firm believer with the evidence that says lip ties are ALWAYS accompanied by a tongue tie of some degree. Plus, it is literally the same procedure.

2 weeks ago, I made an appointment for the soonest available time, which is coming up in just 2 days!!!! We are so beyond excited! A picture of our Frenectomy Countdown Chain is at the bottom of this post (which only brings happiness since it reminds me of counting down to Christmas). :) can't believe it used to say 14, and now there are just a couple of links left!

Please continue to pray for us all during this crazy time, and mostly for Dr. Cole and his wisdom in the situation. Thank you to EVERYONE for the amazing support and to SO many ladies who have shared their bf difficulties with me. It has been so encouraging to be reminded that this is the healthiest, happiest thing for Norah, and my favorite...that if she could talk, she would be saying "thank you for giving me my best chance possible!"



No comments:

Post a Comment